I'm writing this blog from home today; we were dismissed early from work today. The President of Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (the big "cheese") gave a "State of the Church" address. It is always refreshing to hear President Kieschnick speak. He is a charismatic feller from Texas who likes to remind everybody he's from Texas. :)
My first time we officially met was at the annual LCMS picnic. Even though it was meant to be held outdoors, due to the weather it was moved into the cafeteria of LCMS' main building, where they served food and karaoke for entertainment.
Unlike most karaoke deejays, this one was not too cheesy, and was able to entertain the crowd without everybody groaning. President Kieschnick was a good sport, and came up and sang some songs without accompaniment, because his songs weren't even on the list. Of course, they ended up being old southern songs, something about having bubble gum on your shoe while riding a horse...I don't know.
Only having worked there for a couple of months, my intention was to socialize with a few people and meet some unfamiliar faces. My aunt thought otherwise of what I should do while being there. So, she put my name in to sing "I Will Survive."
They called my name, and the few people I had met who I worked with clapped for me, but for the most part, everybody was looking at each other going, "Who is this chick?" Embarassingly I got up to the front, grabbed the mic, and said, "Hi, I'm new." One co-worker, such a supportive gal, yelled, "We'll claim ya!" Like I wasn't feeling rejected enough.
Yet, I sang, and because I had sung this song a million times at every other karaoke bar I had been to, I had the words memorized and could easily move through the song with no sweat...after getting over my initial nerves of singing in front of almost 400 folks that I didn't know. Before I could even get to the first time through of the chorus, I had people I didn't even know getting up out of their chairs and dancing along, and people just continuing to sit in their seats and bob their heads.
After the song was over, I had 400 new friends. I took it in stride, even though I still did feel embarassed, only this time, I was embarassed because I really didn't think it was necessary for me to have all of this attention. Friends, this is why I could never be an "American Idol."
I'm on my way back to meet my co-workers, and President Kieschnick stops me, shakes my hand, and says, "Mighty fine job, you have a wonderful gift, we hope to hear more of it..." and continues to make small talk, as to when I started working there and where I was working. That was probably the highlight out of everything.
I tell Jim when I get back home everything that happened. He jokes around and tells me that soon I'll be playing golf and hanging out with the big boys. So far it hasn't happened yet, but I don't count it out in my hopes. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment