Monday, March 03, 2008

2nd Proudest Moment of my Nonexistent Athletic Career

I did it. I walked up 42 flights of stairs at the Metropolitan Square building downtown. My time wasn't too bad, either; not sure of my exact time (they didn't have the big timer upstairs, just the Fleet Feet crew with their wands making sure they scanned me in) but I'm guessing it was somewhere between 20-23 minutes, which is about average. I was honestly expecting more like an hour!
Unless you count my time in high school as a flag-ette, I've always stuck to the fine arts. My hand eye coordination stinks, my breathing when I run is so erratic that it never fails that at least someone around me asks if I'm okay, and I have no strategic thought process when it comes to sports. For example, if I'm on the baseball field and I happen to catch a batter's ball, and there are other people on base(s), I have such a slow reaction and slow decision-making ability that people would have already made it home by the time I throw the ball, and even then, I'd most likely throw it to the wrong person. Needless to say, my feelings have never been hurt when I've been picked last for a team.
I didn't get into this kick of exercising until college, when I broke up with my long-term high school boyfriend and freshman year I was such an overachiever that I didn't gain just 15 pounds but gained 30. But even during college working out was still on and off. The exercise bug really hit me after I turned 25. After that age, I saw every year added to my life as a slow downward slide. And now that I am turning 30 in April, I'm coming down that slide so fast that if anybody touches me at the bottom, they're going to get one hell of an electric shock.
The first proudest moment when I knew I was truly physically fit was when I participated in the Lewis and Clark half marathon in September 2006. Months prior to that day I was motivated to lose the weight that I had gained with Dean, and there was an announcement for Weight Watchers at Work; it couldn't have come at a more opportune time. I was on it like white on rice and even though I did have a few moments of weakness, I was more determined than ever. Plus, I had my 10 year high school reunion and I'd be damned if I was going to look WORSE than I did in high school (I looked bad enough already back in those days). I lost 30 lbs., I completed those 13.1 miles in around 3 hours, 45 minutes, and I felt awesome.
Then I got pregnant again with Mirabella, and now I have just about those same 30 lbs. to lose. They are coming off MUCH slower this time around, but I did join a gym and signed up for a personal trainer. My eating is still off, but I'm getting there. I can honestly say that I am a lot more fit than I was when I lost those 30 lbs. the first time, even though all that weight isn't off yet.
But for now I will revel in my second biggest athletic achievement; heck, after the stairclimb we shopped at Trader Joe's and kept my bib on so everybody could see what I had just done and hey, she's still on her feet, shopping! And you know I'll be wearing my "I MASTERED the MET!" t-shirt tonight in my Body Sculpting class. :)

No comments: