Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Love is a Many Splendored Thing

I love my husband. Before we got married in May, we had been dating for seven years...albeit, not a consecutive seven years (heck, I say if anybody dates that long consecutively, just bite the bullet and get married), but seven years nonetheless. It wasn't always peachy; I still tend to think that during those years of dating we've been through a lot of things married couples go through, except for the official commitment part, which was a lot of the reason why we were so on and off. Even before we got engaged we had broken up just a year earlier; he had been travelling 75% of the time with his previous job, leaving me here to wait...and wait...and wait. I wasn't sure where we were headed and things weren't getting any better relationship-wise simply because he wasn't here for us to really talk things over. So when we broke up, it was almost for good.

Nevertheless our hearts were like magnets, and we got back together. He promised to never travel that much again unless it I could travel with him. He's kept his promise since then, we got married, and things have been (almost) perfect. Sure, we still have our fights (after all, I did kick him out of the bedroom closet and I still have more stuff to schlep over from the 'rents house), but there hasn't been anything (knock on wood) major.

It's funny how marriage kind of settles you in, but at the same time, keeps you on your toes. It's comforting to know you've found the one you want to spend the rest of your life with, but that doesn't mean you can take him/her for granted. You have to keep that love alive in order to stay together, keep it fresh, exciting.

I know, a lot of people are going, what does she know what she's really talking about? She's been married not even six months, doesn't have any kids, and still in this "lovey-dovey" newlywed phase. Au contrair...sure we haven't been married that long, but did you read the first paragraph of this blog! SEVEN YEARS!!! We were practically married before the official ceremony! It can get dull!

And that's why I'm taking a "Women Making a Difference in Marriage" bible study. Needless to say, I'm the youngest person in that group with the shortest marriage, only one without kids, and, compared to the other women, no "real" problems. But that's a lot of the reason why I joined. To seek mentors, who've been there, done that, tell you the truth, give you advice...all in a Godly manner and principle. I wasn't sure what the other women in the group would think of me, being young and a newlywed. But they took to me nicely and give me friendly advice. They're a wonderful supportive group of women. And the best part of this group is, it's not about getting together and talking bad about your husbands. It's how YOU can make a difference in your marriage, how YOU can be a better spouse and how YOU can ultimately have a better relationship.

Ever since I've started taking this bible study, I've noticed awesome things from my husband. The sweetest was the other day; I was trying a new soup recipe, and was getting nervous about it. Because I hardly have time during the week to cook I try to make dishes stretch over two or three days. And being the new cook that I am, to cook that much and not be sure of how it's going to turn out, makes me a tad anxious about how it's going to turn out.

So he's watching me slice and dice and dump it all in the crockpot, and out of nowhere, says, "Baby, I really appreciate everything you've done in this kitchen. You're doing really good." I don't know how much he realized that one comment meant to me. It blew my insecurities out of the water, and right then and there I closed my eyes for a second and thanked God for giving me the most wonderful man to spend my life with.

No comments: